Saturday, September 12, 2009

The Best and Worst of Covers (3)



Every Saturday, I will post one book cover I love and one I hate from books that I have read. I've seen other bloggers do cover memes, so I put a different spin on mine. For each cover, I will post information on the edition of the book, the summary, and my thoughts of the cover.

The Cover that I LOVE:


Title: The Truth About Forever
Author: Sarah Dessen

Publisher: Speak
Publication Date: April 6, 2006
Page
s: 400
Edition: Paperback
Reading Level: Young Adult

Summary from Sarah Dessen's website:

Macy's summer stretches before her, carefully planned and outlined. She will spend her days sitting at the library information desk. She will spend her evenings studying for the SATs. Spare time will be used to help her obsessive mother prepare for the big opening of the townhouse section of her luxury development. But Macy's plans don't anticipate a surprising and chaotic job with Wish Catering, a motley crew of new friends, or ... Wes. Tattooed, artistic, anything-but-expected Wes. He doesn't fit Macy's life at all--so why does she feel so comfortable with him? So ... happy? What is it about him that makes her let down her guard and finally talk about how much she misses her father, who died before her eyes the year before? Sarah Dessen delivers a page-turning novel that carries readers on a roller coaster of denial, grief, comfort, and love as we watch a broken but resilient girl pick up the pieces of her life and fit them back together.

Thoughts of the Cover:
I really love all the newer covers of Sarah Dessen's paperback books. This one especially is my favorite because the flower is so pretty and the colors are really nice. I also love the story, so the cover really wraps everything together nicely. If you haven't read any of her books, I would strongly recommend it because most of them are really good.

The Cover that I HATE:



Title: Fly on the Wall: How One Girl Saw Everything
Author: E. Lockhart
Publisher: Delacorte Books for Young Readers
Publication Date: November 13, 2007
Pages: 192
Edition: Paperback
Reading Level: Young Adult
 

Summary from E. Lockhart's website:
Enter Gretchen Kaufman Yee.
Collector of plastic Chinese food.
Art student.
Spider-man fanatic.
Gretchen’s in search of a big life. A superhero life.
Enter the Art Rats, a group of guys at her NYC art school.
They’re loud. Sweet. Annoying. Confusing.
Gretchen can barely look at them, goes mute whenever they’re near.
Especially, Titus.
Delicious and smart. Absolutely on the radar.
Gretchen wishes she could be a fly on the wall of the boys’ locker room, just to see what these guys are like when they think no one’s watching.
And then… there she is.
A fly.
 On the wall of the locker room.
She sees…EVERYTHING.
And nothing is what she thought.

Thoughts of the Cover:
Fly on the Wall's cover is just plain weird and not very pleasing to look at. The book isn't the greatest either but it's much better than the cover. Fortunately I have the hardback, so I don't have this ugly cover on mine. The book is pretty fascinating because she turns into a fly and then lives in the boy's locker room, so she sees all that happens in there. This book is definitely not as good as E. Lockhart's other books.

What are your thoughts on these two covers?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments so leave me your thoughts! :)