Saturday, October 3, 2009

The Best and Worst of Covers (6)

Every Saturday, I will post one book cover I love and one I hate from books that I have read. I will post information on the edition of the book, the summary, and my thoughts of the cover. This week the cover I love is Masquerade by Melissa De La Cruz, and the cover I hate is Lock and Key by Sarah Dessen. Summaries from Amazon.

The Cover I Love: 
Title: Masquerade
Author: Melissa De La Cruz

Publisher: Hyperion
Publication Date: July 1, 2008
Page
s:336 
Edition: Paperback
Reading Level: Young Adult   


Summary:
Schuyler Van Alen wants an explanation for the mysterious deaths of young vampires. With her best friend, Oliver, Schuyler travels to Italy in the hope of finding the one man who can help--her grandfather. Meanwhile, back in New York, preparations are feverishly underway for the Four Hundred Ball, an exclusive gala hosted by the city's wealthy, powerful, and unhuman--a true Blue Blood affair. But it's at the after-party, a masquerade ball thrown by the cunning Mimi Force, that the real danger lurks. Hidden behind the masks is a revelation that will forever change the course of a young vampire's destiny.

Thoughts of the Cover:
This cover is amazingly stunning! I love the big masquerade mask and the title font. This cover is my favorite out of all the Blue Bloods covers, even though I really like them all. This cover goes perfectly with the story, which is very good. I love this series and can't wait for the Van Alen Legacy!

The Cover I Hate:
Title: Lock and Key
Author: Sarah Dessen
Publisher: Viking Juvenile
Publication Date: April 22, 2008
Pages: 432
Edition: Hardback
Reading Level: Young Adult
 

Summary:
What happens when your past is not just past, but wiped clean entirely? How do you figure out where you're going when you can't even claim where you've been? These were the questions that inspired Lock and Key. It's the story of a girl named Ruby who is abandoned by her mother and determined to make it on her own, even---and especially---when she is sent to live with her long-lost sister in a whole new world of privilege, family, and relationships. As Ruby learns, there's a big difference between being given help and being able to accept it. And sometimes, it takes reaching out to someone else to save yourself. 

Thoughts of the Cover:

This cover is very boring, kind of like the book. I really love all of Sarah Dessen's covers and books, but this one is probably my least favorite. The beginning of the story line starts off pretty boring, but once it gets going it starts to become good. The hardback cover could've been much better, like the paperback cover. The paperback is so mysterious and very pretty.

What are your thoughts on these two covers?

3 comments:

  1. I prefer the paperback cover for Lock and Key. It's a better fit for the overall story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do prefer the paperback cover of Lock & Key..but I like hardcovers, they last longer. And I love the book.
    I still havent read the Blue Bloods..I need to get on that.. lol.
    Great post! :)

    -Arielle

    ps. i love your music at the bottom. Some of my favorite bands! I am in love with The Maine!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Lock and Key cover really is incredibly boring. Uninspiring.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments so leave me your thoughts! :)