Saturday, October 10, 2009

The Best and Worst of Covers (7)

Every Saturday, I will post one book cover I love and one cover I dislike of books I've read. I include information for each book: the edition, summary, publisher, number of pages, reading level, and my thoughts of the cover. I've decided against using the word "hate" because it's a very strong negative word. Since I don't really hate the covers, I dislike some of them, so I'll be using "dislike" instead. This week the cover I love is Read My Lips by Teri Brown, and the cover I dislike is You, Maybe by Rachel Vail. The book summaries are from Amazon.

The Cover I Love: 
Title: Read My Lips
Author: Teri Brown

Publisher: Simon Pulse
Publication Date: June 3, 2008
Page
s: 256
Edition: Paperback
Reading Level: Young Adult   


Summary:
Popularity is as easy as a good secret.
Serena just wants to fly under the radar at her new school. But Serena is deaf, and she can read lips really well-even across the busy cafeteria. So when the popular girls discover her talent, there's no turning back.
From skater chick to cookie-cutter prep, Serena's identity has done a 180...almost. She still wants to date Miller, the school rebel, and she's not ready to trade her hoodies for pink tees just yet. But she is rising through the ranks in the school's most exclusive clique. With each new secret she uncovers, Serena feels pressure to find out more. Reading lips has always been her greatest talent, but now Serena just feels like a gigantic snoop...

Thoughts of the Cover:
Read My Lips's cover is very pretty. The colors, the girl, and title all go very well together. I love the purple font of the title! The girl on the cover looks like she should according to the book's description, and she looks like she has a secret which she does... The book is a good and fun read. Read My Lips is one of the books I'm giving away for my contest, so if it sounds good go enter if you haven't already!

The Cover I Dislike:
Title: You, Maybe: The Profound Asymmetry of Love in High School
Author: Rachel Vail
Publisher: HarperTeen
Publication Date: June 26,2007
Pages: 224
Edition: Paperback
Reading Level: Young Adult
 

Summary:
Josie is an independent, self-assured sophomore who doesn't care what anyone thinks about her–until Carson Gold, senior and hottest guy around, suddenly shows an interest. Neither Josie nor her best friends quite understand why she tentatively indulges his attention. At first, she makes out with both Carson and Michael, her neighbor and longtime best friend, following her own philosophy of not getting too involved with one person. Though her friends discourage the relationship, pointing to Carson's fame as a heartbreaker, Josie still finds herself falling for him and his lifestyle. She begins to dress to impress and alters her behavior to fit in with the Beautiful People. Pleased to see Josie taking an interest in her appearance, and also impressed by Carson, her mother approves Josie's request to go on a trip with him and his friends. Several traumatic events during the weekend lead Josie to rediscover what is really important to her. Ultimately, she proves that she is the bright, secure person her friends have always admired. Throughout her first-person narrative, confident vs. insecure Josie argues with herself about all of her relationships, giving readers a true glimpse of her confusion. Her friends are realistically portrayed and their reactions to her romance add to the story's development. Josie shows what often happens to a smart, young woman when a charismatic young man starts paying attention to her.

Thoughts of the Cover:
You, Maybe's cover is kind of weird looking and very plain. I like the title but the cartoonish drawing is not very appealing to me. Also, the colors aren't very good. The cover does depict what the book is about, but it should have been a little more attractive. If I hadn't liked the summary, I wouldn't have picked this book up at the library to read a while back. The book is a good, quick read that's about of course love and the drama surrounding high school.

What are your thoughts on these two covers?

2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you liked the cover. I loved it. My only problem with it is that the girls didn't dress like Serena and she didn't have her hearing aides in.

    And I loved the font and title so much I had it copied and tattooed on my ankle!
    Teri

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah that is true, she should have her hearing aids in. How cool you got it tattooed!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments so leave me your thoughts! :)