Friday, March 5, 2010

Friday Firsts (17)


The first line can make or break a reader’s interest. Just how well did the author pull you in to the story with their first sentence? To participate in this weekly book meme is extremely easy.
  • Grab the book you are currently reading and open to the first page.
  • Write down the first sentence in the first paragraph.
  • Create a blog post with this information. (Make sure to include the title and the author of the book you are using. Even an ISBN helps!)
  • Did this first sentence help draw you into the story? Why or why not?

The book I'm currently reading is Saving CeeCee Honeycutt by Beth Hoffman. I received it from LibraryThing, and I wasn't expecting that I would like it as much as I do. I thought it would be boring, but it's not at all. Here is the first sentence:

"Momma left her red satin shoes in the middle of the road."

The first sentence is pretty intriguing, and it foreshadows what will happen later on. CeeCee's mother is pretty crazy, so the sentence is pretty sad once you learn what happens to her. So far Saving CeeCee Honeycutt is really good, and I can't wait to read more.

What's your current book's first sentence?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments so leave me your thoughts! :)