Sunday, August 16, 2009

The Midnight Charter Review

 
Title: The Midnight Charter
Author: David Whitley
Pages: 319
 Publisher: Roaring Book Press
Publication Date: September 1, 2009
My Edition: ARC Paperback
Reading Level: 11-14
Received From: Henry Holt's In Group

Summary from Henry Holt's website:

In the city of Agora, anything can be bought and sold. Even children are possessions until their twelfth birthday.


Mark has been sold by his father, and Lily, an orphan from birth, has bartered for her life. Thrown together by chance, in the ancient tower of Count Stelli, they face an existence of poverty and servitude, unless they can find a way to break free. But, unbeknown to Mark and Lily, they are being watched by the ruler of the city. Can they survive the traps and treachery that await them and discover the dark secret that binds them together? Their lives depend on this question: what is the Midnight Charter?

Review:

I couldn't put the book down once I started reading. The characters were fun to read about, and the setting was very different then anything I have ever read. The beginning was really good but towards the end it slowed down. I loved the characters, and how the author switched their stories every other chapter. The story plot and setting were amazingly unique. The ending was very su
rprising and left you wondering if there would be a sequel. The only complaints I have with the book is at points it was a little confusing, and I wish the ending was as good as the beginning. It's not for sure but I have read that this book will be the first of the trilogy. The Midnight Charter is David Whitley's first book, and I look forward to read other novels by him.

Rating:




1 comment:

I love comments so leave me your thoughts! :)