Friday, October 30, 2009

Friday Firsts (4)


The first line can make or break a reader’s interest. Just how well did the author pull you in to the story with their first sentence? To participate in this weekly book meme is extremely easy.
  • Grab the book you are currently reading and open to the first page.
  • Write down the first sentence in the first paragraph.
  • Create a blog post with this information. (Make sure to include the title and the author of the book you are using. Even an ISBN helps!)
  • Did this first sentence help draw you into the story? Why or why not?
The book I'm currently reading is the Liar by Justine Larbalestier. I'm about half way through so I should have my review pretty soon. This is the first sentence:

"I was born with a light covering of fur."
 
Haha wow that is a really funny but weird first sentence. It does really make sense though as the first sentence because it's a good starting point to Micah's story. It's really intriguing and it makes you want to know what the story is all about. The story is pretty interesting and is not like anything else I've ever read. The cover (which is so great!) had some controversy because the main character is a black female and on the cover the girl was white. I love the new cover, and think it's a lot better than the old one. See the covers below!



What's your current book's first sentence?



4 comments:

  1. Question: How is this book in terms of profanity? Some, A lot, none?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like that first sentence, really makes me want to read that book. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enna Isilee, yes there is profanity. There's not a lot but the "f" word and other cuss words are used many times.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments so leave me your thoughts! :)