Saturday, September 19, 2009

The Best and Worst of Covers (4)

Every Saturday, I will post one book cover I love and one I hate from books that I have read. I will post information on the edition of the book, the summary, and my thoughts of the cover. Also, it seems now that I've been doing these for a couple weeks I find I like either the paperback or hardback better, so I will put both of the covers from now on. Also, weirdly both of these books were published on the same date says Amazon. Without further ado the covers:


The Cover that I LOVE:

Title: Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist
Author: Rachel Cohn and David Levithan

Publisher: Knopf Books for Young Readers
Publication Date: August 28, 2007
Page
s: 192
Edition: Paperback
Reading Level: Young Adult   


Summary (From Rachel Cohn's Website:
It all starts when Nick asks Norah to be his girlfriend for five minutes. He only needs five minutes to avoid his ex-girlfriend, who's just walked in to his band's show. With a new guy. And then, with one kiss, Nick and Norah are off on an adventure set against the backdrop of New York City and smack in the middle of all the joy, anxiety, confusion, and excitement of a first date.

This he said/she said romance told by YA stars Rachel Cohn and David Levithan is a sexy, funny roller coaster of a story about one date over one very long night, with two teenagers, both recovering from broken hearts, who are just trying to figure out who they want to be and where the next great band is playing.

Told in alternating chapters, teeming with music references, humor, angst, and endearing side characters, this is a love story you'll wish were your very own. Working together for the first time, Rachel Cohn and David Levithan have combined forces to create a book that is sure to grab readers of all ages and never let them go.
Thoughts of the Cover:
I really love this cover because it's purple (my fave color), the headphones in a heart shape (very cute and clever), and the city in the background; altogether I very awesome cover! I don't like the second cover at all though because the picture is just weird and blurry. Nick and Norah is a really good and fun to read book. The chapters in the character's different perspectives is so cool, and since there was two authors it's pretty interesting to read. The book was just made into a movie which stars Michael Cera and Kat Dennings who are the perfect people for Nick and Norah.


The Cover that I HATE:


Title: Hero
Author: Perry Moore
Publisher: Hyperion
Publication Date: August 28, 2007
Pages: 43
Edition: Paperback
Reading Level: Young Adult
 

Summary (From Perry Moore's website):
Thom Creed is used to being on his own. Even as a high school basketball star, he has to keep his distance because of his father. Hal Creed had once been one of the greatest and most beloved superheroes of The League-until the Wilson Towers incident. After that Thom's mother disappeared and his proud father became an outcast.

The last thing in the world Thom would ever want is to disappoint his father. So Thom keeps two secrets from him: First is that he's gay. The second is that he has the power to heal people. Initially, Thom had trouble controlling his powers. But with trail and error he improves, until he gets so good that he catches the attention of the League and is asked to join. Even though he knows it would kill his dad, Thom can't resist. When he joins the League, he meets a motley crew of other heroes, including tough-talking Scarlett, who has the power of fire from growing up near a nuclear power plant; Typhoid Larry, who makes everyone sick by touching them, but is actually a really sweet guy; and wise Ruth, who has the power to see the future. Together these unlikely heroes become friends and begin to uncover a plot to kill the superheroes. Along the way, Thom falls in love, and discovers the difficult truth about his parents' past. This is moving, funny, and wonderfully original novel shows that things are not always what they seem, and love can be found in the unlikeliest of places.

Thoughts of the Cover:
I actually don't hate this cover, I just don't really like it that much because it is really plain. The paperback cover is a lot better in my opinion because it goes perfectly with the story. I have an ARC of the first cover, and I got it at a book sale for very cheap. I'm so glad I did because the book was quite amazing. The main character is gay and kinda a superhero, but not let that scare you off because this is a must-read!

What are your thoughts on these two covers?

2 comments:

  1. I actually like the blurry cover, haha. I had never heard of any of these books, so its good to learn more books. But if I saw either of the Hero covers, I wouldn't pick the book up. =( Yes I judge, but I'm trying to do better.

    ~Lindsay
    JABA

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree hero is so plain! But i love nick and norahs infinite play list cover, even though that is plain!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments so leave me your thoughts! :)