Friday, September 18, 2009

Friday Firsts! (1)


Friday Firsts is a new meme I came across hosted by Well-Read Reviews, and it seems pretty fun! The first line can make or break a reader’s interest. Just how well did the author pull you in to the story with their first sentence? To participate in this weekly book meme is extremely easy.
  • Grab the book you are currently reading and open to the first page.
  • Write down the first sentence in the first paragraph.
  • Create a blog post with this information. (Make sure to include the title & author of the book you are using. Even an ISBN helps!)
  • Did this first sentence help draw you into the story? Why or why not?
The book I'm currently reading is the Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold and this is the first sentence:

"My name was Salmon, like the fish; first name, Susie."

This first sentence is alright and notice that she said her name was Salmon; the past tense is a key point. It did make me want to know more about the girl and at first I thought her first name was Salmon, then I realized it was her last name. I think it should've started with her name was Susie, and then go on to the second sentence which is really good but sad.This is the second sentence:

"I was fourteen when I was murdered on December 6, 1973."

Go HERE to see Well-Read Reviews's post and post your link.


1 comment:

  1. Oooohh I <3 this book. It was so good! Can't wait for your review.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments so leave me your thoughts! :)