Saturday, October 31, 2009

The Society of Unrelenting Vigilance: Candel Man book 1 Review

Title: The Society of Unrelenting Vigilance (Candle Man Book 1) 
Author: Glenn Dakin 
Publisher: Egmont USA 
Publication Date: September 22, 2009 
Pages: 300 
My Edition: ARC Paperback 
Reading Level: Ages 9-12 
Where I got it: Good Man Media 


Summary from Amazon:
Murder, mystery, and adventure aren’t your typical birthday presents . . . But for Theo, anything that breaks up his ordinary routine is the perfect gift. A mysterious “illness” and Theo’s guardians force him into a life indoors, where gloves must be worn and daily medical treatments are the norm. When Theo discovers a suspicious package on his birthday, one person from the past will unlock the secret behind Theo’s “illness” and change his life forever. Molded into an exhilarating steampunk adventure that gives birth to the next great fantasy hero, Theo Wickland, Candle Man: The Society of Unrelenting Vigilance is the first book in a trilogy by debut author Glenn Dakin. 


Review:
The Society of Unrelenting Vigilance was altogether pretty good. It had lots of action, adventure, and mystery. It starts of pretty intriguingly, and once I hit the middle I couldn't stop reading. I read about half the book without stopping because I wanted to know what would happen to Theo. There are lots of twists and turns that will make you wonder what will happen, and even some shockers. I really liked the different but weird characters, and the story is unlike anything I've read. 


The cover is really good for the story, but I think it could have been a little more attractive. I probably wouldn't picked this up at the store or library, but I'm glad I read it because I really enjoyed it! My only complaint with the story would be, at points I became confused at some of the mythical creatures and would often not know who some of the characters were. I would recommend this to younger middle school readers, but if you are older you would probably like it too. Candle Man book one is Glenn Dakin's first novel for children, and I think he did an excellent job. I'm looking forward to reading the next books in the Candle Man trilogy. 


Rating:

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments so leave me your thoughts! :)